Friday, July 15, 2011

Cherry Picking!

Mid-July is the best time to pick cherries in Oregon.  Today I went to a "U-Pick" orchard about five minutes away from my house, and got eleven pounds of plump Bings.  I brought them home, rinsed them, and pitted most of them (with a glass of sangria, of course) and put them in freezer bags.  I'm sure that a lot of my baking ventures over the next few weeks will involve cherries!








I highly recommend picking your own cherries.  As much as I love to spend money at farmers' markets, I really don't want to spend $4 a pound for pre-picked cherries when I can pick the cherries myself and pay only $1 a pound.  Of course, I'm still supporting the farmer when I pick in his orchard.  Plus, picking cherries is a fun, productive way to spend time outside. 

Just remember to use sunscreen!  I use and recommend Alba's SPF 45 sunblock for kids.  I got the stuff a couple weeks ago at my local natural foods store.  I stood in the aisle for a good half hour comparing ingredient lists on the backs of various sunscreens.  The ingredients in Alba's kids' sunblock are almost exactly the same as the ingredients in Alba's facial sunblock, so I figured that the kids' version would be fine to use on my super-sensitive face as well as my whole body.  I love it because it doesn't have that typical sunscreen smell, and just a little bit really goes a long way.  And, it's packed with organic herbs!


While we're discussing Alba, let me also say that I love (and recommend) Alba's coconut cream lip balm.  It's amazingly soft and smells like Hawaii.  I like to put it on every night before bed, and when I wake up the next morning, my lips are still super soft and moisturized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment