Saturday, July 9, 2011

Farmers' Markets

I love summer because it's the only time I can buy my fruits and vegetables locally.  I like to know where my produce comes from; somehow I feel better buying tomatoes from the farmer down the road than from the grocery store.  I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with dozens of beautiful, bountiful farms and orchards.  And now that it's summer, I can do myself and the local farmers a favor by shopping at the farmers' market.  The stuff I buy at the market tastes much better than the stuff I buy at grocery stores -- even the good grocery stores -- probably because it is picked just an hour before I buy it.  And supporting the local economy is always in style!





I love seeing vegetables in baskets... country charm at its best.

Last Thursday I bought a big bunch of kale and an equally big bunch of Swiss chard from an overflowing produce stand.  For purchases like this, I recommend the use of a reusable produce bag.  We all know that plastic bags are outmoded.  So why not go for a cute, eco-friendly tote?  I love these two totes from Etsy seller zenthreads:


These cotton bags are hand printed with earth-safe inks.

This cotton string bag says (and holds) it all.

If you aren't big into vegetables, hey, that's ok.  You can still support farmers' markets.  My local market (and I bet yours, too) has a booth that sells tarts and cakes.  As you would expect, the tarts are packed with organic, local eggs and vegetables, and the cakes are studded with local berries:





No comments:

Post a Comment